Suggested fees for Comprehensive Care Home Visit range from $200-450 and include veterinarian's service fees, which cannot be discounted.
Your AHELP Care Coordinator is Michelle Nichols, MS. Your AHELPer volunteer will be chosen based upon location and the best match with you and your pet's needs (eg: massage therapy, Reiki).
The Comprehensive Care Home Visit includes:
- Your entire AHELP Care Team: AHELP Care Coordinator, veterinarian and your AHELPer volunteer
- Veterinary Quality of Life Assessment, with all AHELP Care Team members to ensure best understanding
- 2 hours of additional in-person emotional support with an AHELP Care Coordinator and AHELPer volunteer
- Services by an AHELPer best suited to your needs: massage therapy, energy work, or family services
- Over 30 pages of materials designed to assist you in constructing of an End-of-Life Care Plan (see follow-up appointments below)
- Ongoing care coordination to enhance communication between you, all your veterinarians and AHELP Professional Network Members
- Unlimited direct support of a trained and supervised AHELPer who is dedicated to your family's care
- Unlimited email and phone support
- Spiritual counseling by phone.
- 2 hours of grief and bereavement phone support
Follow-up appointments are available for an additional $150. Follow-ups do not include veterinary care. Veterinary follow up appointments are arranged directly with their practice and all records are shared with members of the AHELP Care Team.
The goal of the Follow-up appointment is to develop a completed End-of-Life Care Plan. Included:
- Home visit OR clinic appointment with the AHELP Care Coordinator.
- Review of history and home problem solving.
- 2 hours of grief support
- Additional education on natural death, if desired.
- Detailed planning assistance.
- Distribution of written plan.
- Additional spiritual counseling.
Our phone and email consultations can help you problem solve urgent concerns and offer you referrals to our trusted Professional Network providers. The most commonly requested needs are from caregivers looking for an urgent euthanasia, a special needs pet sitter, or companionship for caregivers whose animals are in the final stages of dying and are under the supervision of a veterinarian.
Phone consults are billed in 30-minute increments at $60/hour. Our goal in a phone consult is to address your concerns. They may be arranged separately or in addition to a Comprehensive Care Home Visit.
One day we may be able to offer complete funding for these services but at this time, we are sorry that we can not. All services are contracted with the providers independently and we are not paid referral fees from them. We pride ourselves in offering you the best qualified service in a timely manner, customized to your goals for your animal's care and your current needs.
We’re committed to keeping cost in mind. As a 501c(3) non-profit organization, we can offer a portion of cost of the Home Visit at a reduced fee. Please ask if this is a factor and we can modify our care recommendations accordingly.
We look forward to hearing from you and being "a Help" to you, your family, and your animal companion.
How will I get over the loss of my best friend? We in AHELP have come to know that you don’t get OVER a loss; you get THROUGH your loss…
We commonly hear, "what can I do to feel better?" In this post we offer a few practical tips that can be "a Help" to you and your family during the hospice period and after their passing.
A ceremony at your companion's favorite spot can be a valuable in helping you get closure after their passing. Michelle Nichols and her daughter Zoe sprinkle Sora's cremains at the beach she had loved. (Photo: Chris Nichols)Read more