Suggested fees for Comprehensive Care Home Visit range from $265-345 and include the veterinarian's service fees, which cannot be discounted.
Your AHELP Care Coordinator is Michelle Nichols, MS. Your AHELPer volunteer will be chosen based upon location and the best match with you and your pet's needs (eg: massage therapy, Reiki). Please meet our AHELPer volunteers on the "Our Community of AHELPers" page
The Comprehensive Care Home Visit includes:
- Your entire AHELP Care Team: AHELP Care Coordinator, veterinarian, and your AHELPer volunteer
- Veterinary Quality of Life Assessment, with all AHELP Care Team members to ensure the best understanding
- Up to 2 hours of additional in-person emotional support with an AHELP Care Coordinator and AHELPer volunteer
- Services by an AHELPer best suited to your needs: massage therapy, energy work, or family services
- Over 30 pages of materials designed to assist you in constructing of an End-of-Life Care Plan (see follow-up appointments below)
- Ongoing care coordination to enhance communication between you, all your veterinarians and AHELP Professional Network Members
- Unlimited direct support of a trained and supervised AHELPer who is dedicated to your family's care
- Unlimited email and phone support
- Spiritual counseling by phone.
- 2 hours of grief and bereavement phone support
Follow-up appointments are available for an additional $150. Follow-ups do not include veterinary care. Veterinary follow-up appointments are arranged directly with their practice and all records are shared with members of the AHELP Care Team.
The goal of the Follow-up appointment is to develop a completed End-of-Life Care Plan. Included:
- AHELP Care Coordinator Michelle Nichols will meet you at your home OR meet you at your veterinarian's routine clinic or urgent care appointment.
- If possible, the AHELPer volunteer will offer skills and talents that can benefit your animal companion's well-being.
- Review of history and home problem-solving.
- 2 hours of grief support
- Additional education on natural death, if desired.
- Detailed planning assistance.
- Distribution of written plan.
- Additional spiritual counseling.
- Please ask about our creative therapy in that can be offered in conjunction, or in a future appointment. You may choose from adult coloring or decorating a paper mache memory box that you can complete after our visit.
Our phone and email consultations can help you problem solve urgent concerns and offer you referrals to our trusted Professional Network providers. The most commonly requested needs are from caregivers looking for an urgent euthanasia, a special needs pet sitter, or companionship for caregivers whose animals are in the final stages of dying and are under the supervision of a veterinarian.
Phone consults are billed in 30-minute increments at $60/hour. Our goal in a phone consult is to address your concerns. They may be arranged separately or after a Comprehensive Care or Follow-up Home Visit.
One day we may be able to offer complete funding for all these services; at this time, we offer flexible payment plans for AHELP fees. Above and beyond that, all services are contracted with the veterinarians independently, and we are not paid referral fees from them. We pride ourselves in offering you the best-qualified service in a timely manner, customized to your goals for your animal's care and your current needs.
We look forward to hearing from you and being "a Help" to you, your family, and your animal companion.
How will I get over the loss of my best friend? We in AHELP have come to know that you don’t get OVER a loss; you get THROUGH your loss…
We commonly hear, "what can I do to feel better?" In this post we offer a few practical tips that can be "a Help" to you and your family during the hospice period and after their passing.
A ceremony at your companion's favorite spot can be a valuable in helping you get closure after their passing. Michelle Nichols and her daughter Zoe sprinkle Sora's cremains at the beach she had loved. (Photo: Chris Nichols)Read more